VMASS Benefits Process

Follow the steps below to apply for VA benefits.

*Returning students skip to STEP 7

Step 1 - Apply for VA Benefits

Find out how to apply for the GI Bill and other VA education benefits as a Veteran, service member, or qualified family member.

Get more information regarding VA education benefits.


Step 2 - Apply for HCC

Complete HCC Admissions application by visiting hccs.edu/apply


Step 3 - Request Official Transcripts

Obtain official transcripts from any other Universities, colleges, trade schools and/or military Institutions you’ve attended.

  • Visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts.
  • For Air Force transcripts, please visit airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/
  • All veterans, active duty, active National Guard and Reserves, must submit military transcripts within 30 days from submitting HCC Application.

    All transcripts should be submitted to:
    Houston Community College
    Office of Admission & Records
    P.O. Box 667517
    Houston, TX 77266


Step 4 - New Students

First time using your Education Benefit at HCC? Submit a certification request for “new student” and select the “benefit program” that applies. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/

- New Students Only – A checklist will be generated to the student center where the required documents, by benefit indicated on certification request, can be uploaded by students. Students will have 7 days to submit documents. (PDF only) https://myeagle.hccs.edu/


Step 5 - Academic Advising

Visit with an HCC academic advisor to select a VA-approved degree program or certificate plan. https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/academic-advising/

- A VMASS academic advisor is assigned by the education benefit awarded. After submitting the required documents, contact vmassonline@hccs.edu or 713-718-8522 with academic advising concerns. (Examples - Change of Degree, TSI exemption)


Step 6 - Contact Us


We're here to help you succeed. For questions or inquiries, please contact us via the Veteran & Military Affiliated Students Success (VMASS) support options. 


Phone: 713-718-8522 

Email us with questions regarding education benefits at Vmassonline@hccs.edu

Click Here to See our resource centers ( In-person support) 


Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems.

Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting (Our VMASS Zoom room is currently down) See the information above for support options.



The VMASS department will be available on the following days and times;

Monday- Thursday from 8 am to 6 pm and Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.







Step 7 - Certification Request

Submit VMASS Certification Request, for each benefit awarded (Required for any schedule changes, i.e.. Add, Drop, Swap) https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/veteran-affairs/vmass-certification-request/


Step 8 - Class Registration

Register for classes on your approved degree plan.

  • VA does not cover classes that are not on

Your approved degree plan.

  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)

- Contact Assigned VA Voc-Rehab counselor to complete VA required steps

- Assigned  VA Counselor will provide the student with authorization # for books/supplies

  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Transfer Student (Chapter 35) Submit VA Form 22-5495


VMASS Required Documents by Benefits & Forms

Required documents by benefits

Click the link below to access the required documents for your VA Chapter benefits. Find the essential forms to ensure a smooth VA educational benefits application process.

VMASS- Required Documents by benefits


How to Request DD214

How to Request DD214

Click the link below to access step-by-step instructions on how to request your DD214. Our comprehensive guide will walk you through the process, ensuring that you have all the information you need to successfully obtain your DD214 form.

Steps to Request DD214


Apply for VA education benefits

All students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit an application at Vets.gov and call the VA at or 1-888-442-4551.

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)‌ - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
  • Chapter 30 (Active Duty)‌ - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
  • Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve)‌ Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
  • Chapter 1607 (REAP)‌ Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents)‌ - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
  • Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment)‌ - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
  • Hazlewood‌ - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
  • Guests/Concurrent Student- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.




‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."

Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success

Connect With Us

Please click here to view options to receive support.