Deferment request deadlines
The OISS&SA must receive your deferment request on or before:
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Fall Semester: September 29
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Spring Semester: February 20
- Applicants with initial I-20 for Summer Semester: July 7
Apply to HCC: Defer Attendance
About Deferred Attendance
If you are unable to obtain the F-1 student visa, or, for any other reason, are unable to report on time for the semester you initially applied for and wish to defer your attendance to the next available semester, you must submit a deferred attendance request in order to process a new SEVIS Form I-20 for the next term. The deferred attendance request and documents should be received no later than 50 days from the original program start date on your SEVIS Form I-20 to avoid having the I-20 cancelled in the system. If the SEVIS Form I-20 has been cancelled, you will need to apply again and submit the documentation as a New student.
Step 1: Submit Deferment Request Form
Step 2: Monitor your To Do List for updates
Your To Do list will be updated with the items that will need to be uploaded. If you have not set up your HCC account, please go to Step 3 to ensure you have access to your To Do list. If you already have an account, make sure your information is updated.
Step 3: Set up your HCC account
* If you already have an HCC account, go to Step 4.
- Navigate to the Student System Sign In webpage:
- Visit www.hccs.edu
- Click the "STUDENT SIGN-INS" link found in the top right corner of the screen.
- Under "PeopleSoft," select "Student System sign-in"
- You are now on the Student System Sign-In page. You will need to re-visit this page often, so it is a good idea to save it as a favorite in your internet browser.
- Create your account
- On the Student System Sign-In page, click "First Time User"
- In the SSN field, enter your Assigned Number / P-number. Your P-number will be sent to your email after you submit the online application.
- Enter your Date of Birth
- Click "Retrieve ID/PWD"
- You will be provided with your User ID and a temporary password.
- The next time you log in, you will be prompted to change your temporary password.
If you need additional assistance with accessing your account, please visit http://www.hccs.edu/district/students/student-system-help/.
Step 4: Prepare required documents
* All documents must be saved as PDF files. Bad quality or upside-down documents will be rejected. Please combine different document types in 1 PDF file. For example, if you have statements from different banks, save them as one file. To scan and convert a file to PDF format, you can also use free PDF scanner apps (Genius Scan - PDF Scanner, Fast Scanner: Free PDF Scan for Android, Tiny Scanner- PDF scanner, etc.)
- Financial Documentation
All financial documents must be dated within the past six months. However, if your previous documents on record are dated within the past six months, no new documents are required.
- $50 Deferment Fee
Pay the non-refundable application $50 deferment fee and save the receipt as a PDF.
How to pay the fee:
Online payments (preferred): You can pay the fee online using a credit card or funds transfer from your local bank. For online payments, refer to the International Payment Tutorial for instructions. Please note that you must have completed Step 1 and Step 2 before you can make a payment online. Alternatively, you can pay the fee at any HCC campus and save the receipt.
Note: The payment term and entrance term may vary when paying the fee online. This is not a problem as the payment can be tracked by date.
* You may also pay the fee by sending a check (containing a printed address) or money order made out to Houston Community College and containing the student’s HCC ID number attached to a fee payment form. Form will contain mailing instructions for the payment. Mailing the check or money order can cause delay in the process of your application.
Step 5: Upload documents to your To Do List
- Log in to your account on the HCC Student System
- Verify your personal information. Make updates if needed. Click “I acknowledge” and “Continue”
- On the right side of your account homepage, you will see a "To Do List" with a list of items you must submit to complete your application
- Once an item is ready to submit, click on the more/upload link in your “To Do List” and upload the already prepared documents *
* Monitor your To Do List for additional documents that may be required.
Step 6: Choose Mailing Option for Receiving I-20
Once the office receives all of your documents, you should wait at least 10 business days for processing of the SEVIS Form I-20. This time will vary depending on when the application is submitted and how many applicants there are at that time. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
You will receive an email once the SEVIS Form I-20 is processed, and we will send it out as instructed on your I-20 application.
There are 2 options available for the mailing of your acceptance letter and I-20:
- Regular Overseas Mail — Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your application. Please do not e-mail to confirm your overseas address.
- Express Mail — With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail, visit the following webpage and follow the instructions: International Express Mail