We're excited that you're joining the Eagle community.

Becoming a student at Houston Community College breaks down into 5 steps, outlined below. Along the way, our Advising Centers are here to help with any questions you may have. For general questions regarding Admission into our college, you may contact our Student Services Contact Center at 713-718-2277 or use our Ask HCC Knowledgebase System which is available 24/7.

Ask HCC is Houston Community College's online knowledge base library of frequently asked questions and answers. Ask HCC is designed to assist you in quickly finding answers to your questions about our institution.



  • If you are a Continuing Education student, you are not required to provide transcripts, proof of a bacterial meningitis vaccination, or take a placement testing to apply.

Step 1: Complete applications

Submit an online application


Submit your application online at hccs.edu/application.

Students may also complete the Texas Common Application for 2-year schools at applytexas.org, but should allow extra processing time before registering.

Students are encouraged to use the Program and Course Finder to search for information on HCCS degrees and courses.

Apply for financial aid and/or scholarships


Even though you think you might not qualify, applying for financial aid and/or scholarships may help determine what resources are available to assist you with your educational goals.

Step 2: Submit documentation

Bacterial meningitis vaccination

Submit your proof of immunization. Click here for details and forms.


In order to better determine your placement status and apply all possible earned credits towards your future degree plan, be sure to submit an official transcript from your high school and any other college/university you previously attended. You should also submit score reports from external tests like the SAT, ACT, AP, CLEP, IB, etc.

Please request that transcripts and score reports are submitted to HCC electronically.

If you need to directly mail an official transcript or score report to HCC, please use the following address:

Office of Student Records
P.O. Box 667517-MC 1136
Houston TX 77266-7517

HCC will use unofficial transcripts/grade reports and TSI scores for initial advisement and placement purposes. However, a transcript hold will be placed on your record until an official transcript is received in the Office of Student Records within the first semester of enrollment.

If you have a college transcript from a country outside of the United States, please visit the Transfer Room for more information.


Step 3: Assess college readiness

Am I "College Ready" and exempt from further testing?

How do I know if I need to complete the TSI Assessment (TSIA)?
Not all new students are required to complete the TSI Assessment. Several exemptions are available to students who meet certain criteria. Exemptions for students usually fall into one of the following categories:

Score exempt: You meet score requirements on external assessments such as the ACT, SAT, TAKS, or STAAR
  • Before March 5, 2016: Combined verbal and math scores of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on the verbal test and/or math test.
  • On or After March 5, 2016: No composite score; 480 on Evidence Based Reading & Writing (EBRW); 530 on Mathematics         
  • Composite score of 23 with minimum of 19 on the English test shall exempt both Reading and Writing sections of TSIA; a composite score of 23 with a minium score of 19 in Math shall exempt the Math section of the TSIA
  • Minimum scale score of 2200 in English Language Arts with Writing sub-score of 3 shall exempt both reading and writing sections of TSIA
  • Minimum scale scores of 2200 in Math shall exempt the math section of TSIA
  • Minimum score of 4000 (combined Reading and Writing) on the English III  EOC (end of course) exam shall exempt both Reading and Writing sections of the TSIA
  • Minimum score of 4000 on the Algebra II EOC (end of course) exam shall exempt the Math section of the TSIA
  • Veterans and active duty personnel serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment
  • Transfer from a private or independent institution or an accredited out-of-state institution and has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution.
  • Enroll in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public community college, a public technical institute, or a public state college.

If you are not exempt from further testing, you must:

  1. Complete a Pre-Assessment Activity.
  2. Obtain a testing a testing referral form from the Enrollment Services Counter on the campus you plan to test at.
  3. Visit one of HCC's Testing/Assessment Offices at a campus near you and complete the assessment test.

Prepare for placement testing

The TSI Assessment is a placement testing tool used by public Texas colleges and universities to make sure students are placed into the most appropriate level of courses based on college readiness. TSI is an acronym for "Texas Success Initiative."

The TSI Assessment determines your preparation level for the subjects of reading, writing, and math.

How do I prepare for the TSI Assessment?
If it is determined that you need to take a placement test, you will be required to complete a Pre-Assessment Activity before signing up to take the test.

HCC strongly encourages you to thoroughly prepare for the test prior to taking it. Results of this test will determine whether you need multiple levels of developmental writing, reading, and math, a single level, or if you are at college level.

To prepare for the TSI Assessment, visit HCC’s free Pre-Assessment Activity website.

Where do I go to take the TSI Assessment?

After completing the Pre-Assessment Activity:

  1. Obtain a testing referral form from the Enrollment Services Counter on the campus you plan to test at.
  2. Visit one of HCC's Testing/Assessment Offices at a campus near you and complete the assessment test.

Note: After completing the TSIA, take your test scores to the Enrollment Services counter and obtain your Advising and Registration pass. (See Step 4 in the enrollment process.)

Step 4: Register for courses

Attend an Advising and Registration Session

Every first-time college or transfer student with less than 12 college level hours who is enrolling in HCC credit courses is required to complete a new student Advising & Registration Session at one of the campuses.

Please be advised:The following steps must be completed prior to attending a Advising & Registration Session.

  • Prior to enrolling students must complete a Semester Credit application for admission, submit meningitis documentation if required, and take the assessment exam if required.
  • Bring test scores and/or copies of transcripts to the session.
  • Sessions begin on time -- students are not admitted late.
  • If you cannot attend your session, please be sure to cancel your registration using link below.
  • If you require any special accommodations for your session, please contact the college disability office at least two weeks prior to the session start date in order to have time to accommodate your needs.

You must obtain a pass from the Admissions Office to attend any Advising & Registration Session.


Sign-up for an Advising & Registration Session



Register for classes

In your advising session, you should have learned which classes you should consider taking during your first semester at HCC. The next step is to find specific days/times of classes that fit your schedule and add them to your class schedule. If you have less than 12 college credit hours, you will have to register for a College Success Course and this course must be entered first.

Once you are ready to register, log in to the Student System and start adding classes to your schedule.

Secure payment for tuition/fees

There are several options available to you for securing payment for your tuition and fees. Please review the options below and ensure that payment is applied prior to the payment deadline for the semester you are registering for.

Financial Aid / Scholarships: Financial aid such as loans and grants are available for eligible students through federal and state programs. Scholarships are also available for eligible students who meet certain criteria. Even if you think you may not qualify, completing applications for financial aid and scholarships may help determine what resources may be available.

Online Payment in Full: Log in with your student account and pay your full tuition and fees online, without the trouble of waiting in line to pay in person on campus.

Installment Payment Plans: HCC makes education affordable to students. Students have the option to pay tuition and fees in full or installment. HCC offers installment payment plan to students.

Forms of Payment: You can use a valid Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express card to pay your full tuition and fees. You can also use a debit card with Visa or Mastercard logo but not a non-USA credit card. You may also pay online via check.

See business office locations for a complete list of cashiers, including contact information.

Step 5: Prepare for your first semester

Obtain your photo ID card

Student Identification (ID) Cards are available once a student has registered and paid for classes. Your Student ID Card will be needed for library and computer lab usage, at offices providing student services, admission to college activities, and voting in campus elections. ID cards are nontransferable and are to be held only by the students to whom they were issued.

Students are required to be in possession of their ID card at all times. All ID cards are the property of HCC and must be shown when requested by a representative of the college district. If students lose their ID cards, they should report it to the police by calling 713-718-8888 as soon as it is discovered as missing. To obtain a replacement card, please initiate the process at the college campus you attend. A nominal fee will be charged for the replacement of lost ID cards.

Who needs an HCC ID card?
All Houston Community College employees and current students must obtain an HCC photo identification card.

Why do I need an HCC ID card?

  • Employees and students must be prepared to present their photo ID upon request of a college official
  • The ID card may be used to access areas on campus
  • Receive discounts or free admission to events
  • Borrow materials from the library
  • Identification after hours or in an emergency
  • ID cards can also be used to have access to the HCC Vehicle Assistance Program

Where do I get an HCC ID card?
You may obtain your HCC ID card by visiting any of the College Campuses operating a photo ID station. Click on Hours of Operation to see time and date for a campus near you.

How long does the process take?
The process should take approximately ten (10) minutes.

What do I need to get my ID card?
If you are a student you will need to provide your student identification number (EMPLID); current student receipt, along with any one of the following:

  • Valid Driver’s License/Government Issued ID Card
  • Valid passport/Visa
  • Recent photo identification from another college/High School

What can I do with my HCC ID card?
Your HCC ID card is a multipurpose card:

  • It is your campus identification
  • It is required to access certain facilities and functions on campus
  • It is required for use of Library servicesIt is unique to you. It is not transferable and is only for your personal use. Allowing someone else to use your card or using someone else’s card is prohibited and may result in suspension of your ID card privileges and /or other disciplinary actions.

What should I do if I lose my ID card?
Students or Employees should immediately log into either Student System or HR @ Your Service and report your card lost. Complete the steps and obtain a reference number. Once you have reported your card lost/stolen/damaged, all access and privileges will be deactivated. However, you must obtain a replacement card. HCC-PD will send an email to you authorizing any badging station to replace your lost ID card.

Is there a cost to replace my ID card?
Badge Operator responsibility when cards are reported lost, stolen or damaged:

  • For cards that are reported lost or stolen within forty-eight hours, there is no charge.
  • For cards that are reported lost or stolen outside of the forty-eight hour time frame, there is a $15 replacement cost for both students and employees.
  • For cards that are reported damaged, there is no charge. The person reporting this should bring the damaged badge/pieces to the Badge Operator for destruction.


Obtain your parking permit

All HCC students are required to display a parking permit on the dashboard of their cars.

At this time there is no charge for parking at most HCC locations and parking permits are a safety measure so that HCC Police can recognize your vehicle as one belonging to a registered student.

To get your parking permit, you must first log into the Student System. Once in the Student Center, click the "Parking Access" link in the Personal Information section located at the bottom of the page. Fill out the registration form for your parking permit and print the permit. You will need to drop by an HCC Police Department office and pick up a plastic holder. Insert the permit in the holder and display it on the dashboard of your car. The permit is good for the academic year.

For more information, please call (713) 718-7557.

Buy textbooks and supplies

Students may purchase textbooks, study aids, and a wide range of novelty items and apparel at the college bookstore. Students are encouraged to purchase books prior to the first day of class. Student should bring their student ID card and class schedule to ensure that they are purchasing the correct texts. Textbooks and supplies may also be purchased outside of the college bookstore, but students should be sure to obtain the specific IBSN for each assigned book from their professor to ensure that the correct book is being purchased.

Visit the online bookstore at hccs.bncollege.com.

College bookstores
Alief 713-718-6656
Central 713-528-0872
Eastside 713-640-1441
Northline 713-692-1472
Stafford 713-499-6413
Katy 713-718-5982
Westloop 713-218-0391
Spring Branch 713-468-5300

Access your HCC email

Your HCC Eagle ID email address will be the only email address used for official HCC communication (e.g., financial aid, graduation, regulatory updates, etc.). It is important that you check this email address regularly for important information and communication.

Email accounts are assigned to all enrolled students. HCC wants to do everything it can to improve communication between you, your instructors and other college personnel, so it is essential that you activate your email account. Find more details on the Student E-mail/Eagle ID page.

Attend new student orientation

Every first-time college or transfer student with less than 15 semester hours who is enrolling in HCC credit courses should complete an orientation session at an HCC campus. Contact the College Student Success Center at one of the campuses.

Note about online courses

Houston Community College is now a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). This means that HCC can offer online courses to residents in all states that are also SARA members. Please be advised that certain online programs, which include internships, practicums, or other experiential requirements, may trigger additional State Authorization requirements. Check with the appropriate licensing or professional organization before you enroll in these types of programs to be sure that the HCC course credits will be accepted in your state’s program.